Website Blackwood of DC
Blackwood of DC
The Carpenter Apprentice will possess competency in the following areas to perform his/her role in a productive and safely manner:
- The main duty of the apprentice carpenter is to assist the carpenter or group of carpenters with the tasks required for forming and erecting wall form-work and deck form in work.
- The apprentice carpenter participates on the job training as well as classroom activity.
- The apprentice is required to maintain a tidy work site, managing the tools, supplying assistance to journeyman.
- Assists with constructing and stripping wood or metal form-work, using plywood/ 2×4 and metal panels.
- Cut wood to specified measurements.
- Operates drill/saw as required.
- Care for tools and equipment.
- Keeps materials stocked for journeyman.
Develops knowledge thru field training and school training to become a journeyman.
The Apprentice Carpenter will possess the knowledge, skill and/or ability in the following areas essential to perform the functions of the position.
- Must be a DC Resident
- High School diploma or GED
- Possess Valid ID
- Prior experience in construction
- Ability to comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to read and use a tape measure and apply associated math skills.
- Must have the ability to exert heavy physical effort, handling average weight objects up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to kneel, stoop, crouch, balance, climb or crawl.
- Ability to tolerate heights without fear.
- Work involves exposure to outside weather conditions and dirt, dust, fumes, and/or loud noises.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, sometime early, late, and weekend as needed.
- Must have reliable transportation to be able to report to class and to constantly changing job sites.
- A record of exemplary attendance on the job is required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled